Wednesday, January 26, 2011

36 weeks corrected

Days with us: 46
Corrected age: 36 weeks


Our little munchkin is 36 weeks corrected today- with all of the 'baby' things he is doing (drinking from a bottle, nursing, staring at our faces, etc) it's hard to believe he should still be a month away from birth. 





After Rhys's right lung shut down 2 weeks ago they placed him on a VERY high flow cannula- 4 liters per hour. The plan is to slowly ween him down to a low enough flow that he can go home. He is now on 2 liters and seems to be tolerating it well. Rhys's respiratory issues are really the only thing holding him back- he is taking a bottle and nursing like a champ, but is only allowed to do this 3x a day right now. (I think he could handle more, but they don't want him to get too worn out- his energy needs to be spent growing!) Besides his air flow and taking all his feeds through a bottle/nursing, Rhys has met all the requirements to go home. I am praying his lungs are growing at an amazing rate, and he will be able to go home soon. I think he's asking for that, too. 



Recently, I made friends with another NICU mom (whom I met in the pump room, of course). I have been trying to encourage her as much as possible- her baby was born at 26 weeks weighing only 1 pound 1 ounce. (She about a week old now, and is right at a pound.) The mother's name is Angela, and her little one is Hannah- please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as well. Angela was told her baby might not survive, and she is so worried about her. 

Some days, it's so hard to be there- it can be so overwhelming. I am trying to keep it together for, what will hopefully be, only a few more weeks. 

Of course, the wonderful thing about all of this is our precious Rhys. 



If you are interested in seeing more pics of Peanut, here is a link to a facebook picture album:




1 comment:

Julianne said...

I love seeing all of the pictures of Rhys on facebook! He is making such amazing progress. I'm glad you're using the situation you, Thomas, and Rhys have been placed in to minister to other women. I know God is using you so much in that hospital. I'm continuing to pray for your family.