Friday, December 10, 2010

An email asking for prayer

I sent this email out today to some people in my address book- I am asking that you would all continue to pray for us, and please, add us to every prayer list you know of.


I have had quite a rough week, as I'm sure you can imagine. Pretty much, I was 'in labor' for 3 days, but it never progressed far  enough for me to deliver. My body feels like I've been run over, or beaten, or both.  
They ended up putting me on magnesium sulfate when my contractions got very strong, in hopes that I would be on it long enough to provide adequate neurological support for Peanut (mag sulf has been shown to prevent cerebral palsy in premature infants). They only gave me half of the dosage used for preeclampsia, since I have no issues with high blood pressure. Unfortunately, I am quite a lightweight, and Monday morning, by time the mag had made it's way through my system, I couldn't stand or walk without assistance, or even lift my arms. I was so thankful to have Thomas there helping me- he ending up feeding me, helping me out of bed, etc. It was probably the worst I have ever felt in my entire life. 
The perinatal team is still saying that I could 'slip' back into labor at any minute. They also don't believe I'll make it to New Years, but I am hoping I can still make it to 34 weeks. I know they have a lot more experience with this sort of thing, but I have made  it so much further than what anyone originally expected. Here are  some of the odds/predictions we've surpassed:
- at 21 weeks, when I ruptured, I was told I would lose the baby--  He has had a wonderful heart rate ever since, and has never shown any signs of distress
- when I came to Winnie Palmer at 23 weeks, the doctors didn't think I'd make it past 25 weeks-- We are now at 29 and counting
- I was told/warned that pPROM babies are usually the smallest  preemies, and his growth would probably be very slow and he would be well under average.-- He is measuring about 2 weeks ahead, in about the 68 percentile. In the last 2 weeks he gained an entire pound-  something babies usually don't do until they are in their last month
From the beginning, my prayer has been that I would make it to 34 weeks. When I went into labor this weekend, I cried for hours- in  large part because I felt like I failed my Little Guy again, but  also because I wasn't able to complete what I set out to do. (Yes, I  am very type A.) When I finally let go, and admitted to God that I  don't know what's best for Rhys, and I thanked God for protecting  him, my contractions slowed. Maybe God was just waiting for me to  let go. I'm not sure, but I am so thankful Rhys has had more time to  grow inside of me. I prayed all weekend (when I was in labor) that Rhys would be 3 lbs, even though (based on his previous rate of  growth) he should have only been about 2lbs, 10oz. (This is a big milestone for preemies- Statistically, preemies over 3 lbs are less likely to have complications and illnesses. It's also where they move up from being 'micro-preemies.') I can't tell you how thrilled I was when we went down for our growth Ultrasound on Wednesday and he measure 3lbs, 5oz. God is answering our prayers and protecting that little guy.
As far as I am concerned, I really feel like a hospital patient now. Like, really. They have decided to keep me on the magnesium until I deliver- I keep praying that my contractions will stop, and they'll take me off of it. It honestly makes me feel horrible (like the  flu), not to mention I have to constantly be on several monitors-  blood pressure, pulse, and the toco (to monitor my contractions)-  with the IV. For someone with a huge fear of needles, having an IV placed every 3 days is torture. Even though I was on bed rest this entire time, I could at least go out on a wheelchair ride occasionally, but now I am pretty much chained to the bed.
We have overcome so many odds- I know it has been prayer. There is no medical explanation why any of these things would have happened. (For example, I was told Sunday morning that I would be delivering within 72 hours- it's Friday, and I'm still pregnant!) I know that there are reasons it would be better for me to deliver: if I got an infection, had placenta issues, Rhys was in distress, etc, but- unless one of those happens, my belly is the best place for him right now. I am asking that everyone will pray with me that my contractions will completely stop, I will be taken off of the magnesium (Baby only needed 2 hours to have enough in his system for the neuro support), Rhys will continue to grow just like he is, and that we can both remain healthy and infection free. I am praying that at 34 weeks, they will have to induce me! That my body will continue to be a safe and wonderful home for this baby all the way until that moment. That I can continue here for 4 1/2 more weeks on the bedrest regimen I was on before: no IV, no continuous monitors. That the perinatal team will continue to have no explanation for my progress- we will know we have seen the hand of God working in this situation.
Whew. Sorry for the word explosion.
Love you guys. Can't wait to be back in the real world with everyone again.
Suzanne

1 comment:

Kay said...

All of our prayers are with you and your little one. God's hand is with you both.