Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Which one of us needed to learn this lesson...?

Belly Time: 28 weeks, 6 days
Time since Rupture: 54 days
Countdown to 34 weeks: 35 days


So, it's now Tuesday evening, and I'm still pregnant--- after being told Monday morning that I would probably be delivered by that evening. Hmmm...

I was put on a low dosage magnesium drip on Sunday evening when my contractions began coming very strong. This was not to suppress my labor, but actually because it has been shown to prevent Cerebral Palsy in premature infants. It didn't seem to have any affect on my contractions until early the next morning, when they began to space out just a little. The mag drip made me feel like I had the flu: chills, flushed, achy limbs, nausea, headache, chest pressure- honestly, I was miserable. Luckily, my body has somewhat adjusted to this- which is good, since I apparently will be on it until I do deliver.

As far as the delivery is concerned: I am not considered "in labor" any longer, however, my labor is still considered "imminent." Is anyone else confused? It was a lot easier just thinking I had to wait until 34 weeks. Now, we have no idea when anything is happening. Not that I'm complaining about him getting some extra time inside.

I cried for hours when they first told me I was going into labor and there was nothing they could do. I had extreme feelings of guilt that I wasn't able to keep him in as long as he needed, and felt like my body was failing him yet again. When I was finally able to resign myself to the fact that he was coming and admit that I didn't know what was best for him and God was in control- my contractions became irregular. This has been a very unusual lesson in patience. We still have no idea when he's coming- it could be tonight, but it could be in 2 weeks. I just hope I'm not having these strong, irregular contractions until he comes- my belly is extremely sore (this has been going on since last Thursday).

I think Rhys just wanted to make sure he was the most important thing to Daddy, too.

So, I have changed my prayer- I'm not asking for 34 weeks anymore. I'm asking that he'll stay in as long as it's what is best for him. Obviously, I don't know what that is yet. Luckily God does.

29 week update will be posted tomorrow.

2 comments:

Dolores Steiger said...

I have been keeping up with you through your blogs as well as Misti. I just knew when I woke up this morning there would be a baby announcement. But when there wasn't I thought - great Rhys has a little longer in there to get stronger. I know you have to be exhausted but you know, as you have said, it is good for him to stay in longer. I hope Thomas and your Mom are able to stay with you and give you their support and love. Thinking of you and praying for you everyday.

Dolores

Patrick Harvey said...

Definitely thinking of you and the baby, Suzanne.